Liver Pumpkin Cake for Cat
Delicious and nutritious and can be sliced up very small as a treat or meal topping. Pumpkin is great for gastrointestinal health and wonderful for helping to sooth an occasional tummy upset.
2 cups organic chicken liver
2 free range eggs
4 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp unsweetened canned pumpkin
1 cup instant oats
2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
Filtered water sufficient to make a batter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F)
- Process the liver in a blender or food processor until completely pureed.
- This takes a few minutes and it might be best to look the other way as the initial stage is slightly stomach churning for some people
- Beat the eggs in a bowl and pour in the oil
- Add liver to egg mixture
- Mix in the dry ingredients slowly, stirring continuously so they are thoroughly combined. Add the water gradually, until you have a batter consistency.
- Pour batter into a loaf or cake pan.. (no Teflon or aluminum)
- Bake at 350 degrees (F) for about 50 minutes until the cake is firm to the touch on top
- Cool until the cake can be handled then gently turn it out onto a rack and refrigerate to cool completely
- Slice with a sharp knife and then dice into bite-sized pieces appropriate for your cat
This recipe can be frozen, if desired. It works well to put small handfuls of the bite-sized pieces into zip-lock bags and freeze them so that you can take out one bag at a time to defrost (then store in a refrigerator as needed.)
Adapted from Honest Kitchen’s “Made Out of Love” Cookbook – Page 77
For more information on cooking for your pet – Ask Sheryl!